Activity 1: My Community of Practice
What are communities of practice?
“Human beings have formed communities that share cultural practices reflecting their collective learning” (Wenger, 2000, p. 229). This is something we do constantly, unaware when unloading, ranting or sharing about our day with a colleague or friend.
After reviewing our first weeks literature and media I have come to realise that I am a member of multiple communities of practice.
- I am a part of the Mind Lab community of practice
- I am part of the "year 5 and 6" community of practice
- I am also part of the "wider whole school" community of practice
- Our school is a part of the South Auckland Catholic Schools Community of Learners (CoL)
- I have also considered our wider community; our school is a part of the Auckland Catholic Diocese
I have decided to focus on my relationship with the “wider whole school” community of practice.
“Joint Enterprise”
On top of my teaching role, I am also the PE and Health Coordinator of our school (Y1-8). The “wider whole school” community of practice all care for the wellbeing of students. My personal teaching philosophy encompasses a holistic approach - physical, mental/emotional, whānau and spiritual well-being. Together we work collaboratively to provide opportunities to enrich and care for the child's well-being.
“Mutual Engagement”
This role requires me to collaborate with senior management, team leaders, teachers, support staff, students and whānau to arrange school sports tournaments, inter-school sports tournaments, physical education and health programmes running in and out of classes throughout the year. From time to time, I will need to consult with other members of our “wider whole school” community. They may include the local constables or parish priests. I am constantly planning for the term or year ahead. This requires regular communication (usually via email or phone), meetings and addressing the whole school.
“Shared Repertoire”
We have over 40 teaching and support staff. It is easy to feel overwhelmed or disconnected. As the PE & Health Coordinator I feel like I am an integral part in facilitating and collaborating with various individuals who fall under our “wider whole school” community of practice. I have been in this role for a year and a half. Initially it took a while to develop my own style and identity as the PE & Health Coordinator. I was lucky to have a supportive transition into the role. Senior management, team leaders and teacher aides were my greatest support. They were patient, offered advice and their assistance when I needed. Even though I am a leader in a sense, I very much depend on the the “wider whole school” community of practice to offer their followership.
Communities of people are powerful. We need these relationships and connections to better our own understanding to learn from what was done and how things could be done differently going forward. Change is most effective when driven by a collective with a shared understanding and goal.
Reference:
Wenger, E. (2000). Communities of practice and social learning systems. Organization,7(2), 225-246.
Comments
Post a Comment